Sunday, September 5, 2010

New oil painting-work in progress


Every once in awhile, I like to try something new. This is a new subject for me-the Arizona landscape in winter. I decided to do an oil painting from a photo that I had taken in Arizona a few years ago. The starkness of the landscape and the wonderful cloud formations are going to be a challenge.
You never know, when you start a painting if it will be a success or not. Even the failures can provide valuable learning experiences and so should be pursued. The jury is still out on this work. I feel that I have achieved the starkness of the landscape that I felt when viewing it in person.
I also think that the clouds are coming along nicely. However, other parts are still haunting me so I will put this one aside for awhile and look at it again in about a week. Sometimes, you need a fresh eye to see what is working and what's not. Don't be afraid to critique your work-not everything you do will be spot on. I think most of we artists forget that from time to time.
You will never know how far you've come as an artist if you don't remember where you've been. Now go out a paint the world!
Happy Painting,
Jennylynne

No comments:

Post a Comment