Sunday, October 9, 2011

Heading to the Big Cedar Lodge Paint Out in Branson, Mo.

Wednesday, I will be heading to Big Cedar Lodge for the second Paint Out Event in Branson, Missouri. It is always exciting getting ready for such an event. Besides clothing(for all types of weather), you need to pack all your painting supplies, frames, easels for display, business cards, bio, bug spray, sunscreen,, ivy block. Well, you get the picture.

It also means that once again I will trying to reduce what I take and pare down my equipment so I don't have to unload so much stuff. This for me is always a challenge! When I was only doing pastels, it was a nightmare. I am not a minimalist when it comes how many pastels I think I need. I have over 3000 in my studio but obviously can not take that many on location. So, I have three boxes each loaded with around 200-300 pastel pieces. Each box is filled with pastels for a certain location. I have one for painting in Missouri, one for out west like New Mexico and another for seascapes locations. My hubby made a travel box for my supports and papers that work well for toting surfaces ready for painting and also the finished work, in relative safety. The downside of pastels on a paint out is numerous when painting in plein aire, but the results are well worth it.

Oils, on the other hand, are wonderful on paint outs. I narrow down my oil colors to just six, plus white and the Gamblin grays. My main colors are French Ultramarine Blue, Alizarin Crimson, Cadmium Yellow Light, Yellow Ochre,Cadmium Red, Burnt Sienna and Titanium white plus Art spectrum Clear. When painitng in Missouri, I will also include Olive Green and Phathlo Green plus cobalt blue and cerlean blue. I do on occasion take additional colors but these are my mainstay. By narrowing down my colors, I can create harmony throughout the painting right off the bat.

I usually take my break down table that folds all up in a little carrying case for easy packing.(You can find this marvelous table at Bass Pro Shops) I take my small easel and also my french easel, my umbrella, camping chair that folds in a bag, my backpack, a small box filled with additional paints, and my pallette box. I also include a small old rug or drop cloth for standing on while painting. I spray this with bug spray and have never had chiggers or ticks.

Hope this helps you and if you have any questions, just send me your questions in the comment and I will try and answer it quickly.

Happy Painting!
Jennyynne

No comments:

Post a Comment